To familiarize you all with the term Insomnia, i would first like to quote the dictionary meaning of this term and it says, ‘Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling and/or staying asleep. The condition can be short-term (acute) or can last a long time (chronic)’. Basically it is one’s inability to sleep. Your body is like a working machine which is functioning 24/7 even when you are asleep. And that sleeping time acts as THE FUEL for your body. So, if your body really doesn’t get the fuel it needs to work then it will probably affect everything in your life. Words like morning sickness, dizziness, frequent mood swings, fatigue, drowsiness will start to sound more relatable. And don’t get me started on how this will affect your mental health. Just know, it will get worse. nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
Well, this is not the point. The point is how can you kick this ‘mental disorder’ out of your system. I am definitely not going to recommend you some sleeping pills or drugs because the goal is to make you healthy. So, here are some ayurvedic tips and tricks to help you cope with insomnia.
Ayurveda categorised the reasons for insomnia in 3 heads. They are:
1. Tarpaka Kapha ( an auxiliary dosha) : It works as the nourishing agent for the brain cells prompting it to relax and sleep at night. When this dosha is not in balance then one might experience trouble while sleeping.
2. Prana Vayu (supplemental Vata dosha) : researchers have found that insomnia is the result of aggravated vata dosha. When the prana vayu or this supplemental vata starts flowing through your brain cells, this causes immense restlessness refraining you from your sleep.
3. Sadhaka Pitta ( Pitta dosha found in the heart): this controls our feelings, emotions, influences decisions and desires. If there’s any imbalance in this area of the body, it will cost you your sleep i.e, make you an insomniac
Coming to the solutions, ayurveda suggested the following lifestyle habits which one should adopt to combat insomnia:
● Milk: a glass full of milk per day is all you need to feel sleepy eyes. A pinch of nutmeg or crunches of almonds would work better. ( if i explain this scientifically: milk helps to converts an amino acid into serotonin which helps to calm your brain)
● Ayurvedic hair oil ( amla, bhringraj, triphala): having an oil massage can help your scalp to function better and open up the dead pores to breathe. It will have a relaxing effect on your brain and will help you to sleep. (So check out the wellness shop ASAP)
● Aromatherapy: aromatherapy with the essential oils gives a soothing touch to your surroundings and a relaxing effect to your brain. Some of the essential oils offered by us are: eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, lemongrass oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil. Check them out.
● Ashwagandha : add a pinch of ashwagandha and brahmi in a glass of water, boil them and drink them daily for better results.
● Other herbs : a few herbs like licorice root powder, tagar, tulsi, yashtimadhu and mandukaparni before bedtime can help you to have better chances of having a calming sleep.
Hence, these are some remedies we have researched for you. Stay tuned for more health tips. I am sure they will turn out to be really helpful for you.